Saturday, January 13, 2007

Two heartbeats away....

Here's an interesting point, and (also interestingly) from brother Paul Baggaley in Australia:
Feminists take note. As of today we are now 2 heartbeats away from a female US president. Democrat Nancy Pelosi has taken up the position of Speaker of the House of Representatives, the first woman to hold this job. This makes her second in the Presidential line of succession, behind VP Dick Cheney. So if Bush and Cheney were both killed off, she would have the job. Now wouldn’t that make Hillary mad!
As I commented on Paul's post, very few people in the US think of Nancy Pelosi as #3 in the chain-of-command. And that's either a great thing or a scary thing, depending on your view of things. As for me, nothing could be scarier than a Dick Cheney presidency...

3 comments:

Erin said...

Forgive my skeptisism... especially since I feel like I'm shooting arrows from over the fence... but I don't think it would happen. Yet.

Before she would take office, some special legislative thing would happen. Perhaps I'm wrong. Am I wrong? I'd love to hear more about this.

btw... it's GREAT to see you out and about :)

Anonymous said...

Nothing scarier than Cheney? Hmmm...What about a former Grand Wizard of the KKK being next in line after Pelosi.

I gotta admit, I am more on the conservative side, and Pelosi bothers me. Let's not forget that one of her first legislative acts (Minimum wage law) exempted a company with HQ in her home district. (American Samoa exemption on min. wage helps company headquartered in San Fran.) Doesn't pass the smell test to me.

Jennifer Garrison Brownell said...

I hate to be cynical but don't you think we already HAVE a Cheney presidency?