Monday, August 20, 2007

A rallying cry

OK, I blatantly stole this from this post by Wayward Drifter, which I found quite by accident following a Sitemeter link. Sheer genius. (Forgive me, Lord, for not finding this when it's almost 4 months old, already...)

It's a quiz. I promise you, it will be time well spent.

Watch these two YouTube videos in full (yes, all the way to the end), and then decide who is calling the Church Universal forward in leadership. Select:

a) Bono, an unordained musician


or
b) Dr.Nina Gunter, Nazarene General Superintendent


Here's a clue: if you choose (b), go read this until you can choose differently...

This is not a slam at this one denomination; they are not alone here. My own denomination has been known to fiddle while Rome burned, too. It's the fundamental question we must address - can we become "fundamentalists" about what's really important, here?

The world is sleeping in the dark
That the church just can't fight
'Cause it's asleep in the light
How can you be so dead,
When you've been so well fed?
Jesus rose from the grave - and you! -
You can't even get out of bed!

(Keith Green, "Asleep in the Light")

I'm sorry, I need to go pray and confess my selfishness...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

at least b) was short.

I feel sick that we - as church - just don't get it.

sigh

Lord have mercy on us!

Michael Dodd said...

Dr. Gunter's remarks remind me of a priest in my community who once remarked that his theological education had prepared him very well to respond to the Albigensian heresy.

"If I ever meet an Albigensian, I'll know what to say" he told me, "but I don't know how to turn on a computer."

St. Teresa told her nuns, "The world is on fire. This is no time to bother God with trivialities."

Meanwhile, though, lets all look out for those invading Calvinists!

TN Rambler said...

And folks wonder why the church is considered irrelevant in some quarters.