Thursday, September 13, 2007

A wedding weekend...

I will be mostly offline for the next several days - I leave this evening for the Kansas City area. One of my dearest enduring friends, Norma, has found what seems like enduring love, and is getting married Saturday. Since both her parents are dead, she's asked me to give her away (knowing that I love to do the "dad" thing, and have been told I'm a "mother..." repeatedly...).

So I will be in town for a number of quick visits with old friends, a brief Saturday morning reunion with the recovery community at the Little House group in Lenexa, and services at my former home church Sunday morning, wrapped around the rehearsal Friday and ceremony Saturday.

Life has changed dramatically since I was last in Kansas - in a number of ways. So it will be good to catch up with many friends who for I've not seen in more than a year. Everything about this trip has been kind of last minute, but I'm praying that it will all come together. Norma is a sweetheart, and she and I have been "trudging the road" since I started at St. Paul School of Theology back ten years and two weeks ago (wow...). We both definitely "have seen fire and rain," but we've slogged through - and I am richer for her presence (even if mostly virtual, these days). I wish every good thing for Norma, and Clayton, even as I envy them their relationship, just a tiny bit...

See you all on Monday.

4 comments:

Peter said...

Blessings will fall on you, too, Steve man.

Erin said...

Have a fabulous time! What a beautiful thing for Norma that she had a good friend like you to step in...

Whispering Heart said...

Congrats to Norma and her chosen one, I know the joys finding the one can bring and I pray many years ahead of them.

Scott M. Frey said...

congrats to you and your friend.. sounds liek a great trip, hope you had a great time!