Friday, January 21, 2005

Waaa-HOOOO! He made it!


What a deal!!

I don't have any kids...and not much chance (or desire) of gettin' any, to be honest. But I have had the opportunity to work with a lot of young men who have chosen to turn their lives around, and a number of them have somehow managed to worm their way into my cold, cold heart. (One of the richest blessings in my life is the ability to see the change and growth in their lives, often despite some amazing circumstances.) So it's always a celebration when I see triumph in these young men's lives, and I delight in each of their successes.

But I have to admit that very, very little in my life made me as proud as seeing this image in last night's email. Jimmy has worked incredibly hard, and in the last 2 years has weathered the loss (and regaining) of a job, the break-up of his marriage, being a single parent, and more emotional rollercoasters than I would have chosen for my worst enemy. And at least 5 times a year, he was ready to throw in the towel on his agonizing climb up the hill of higher education. But (with some slight encouragement, from a whole lot of his family and friends) he persevered - and this is the result. This is a young man who had a 1.85 GPA in high school - graduating with a 3.55 GPA (yeah, that's graduating cum laude, baby!).

Jimmy, there were times that neither one of us expected to live long enough to see this day...but you've done an amazing thing, against some ugly odds. You've "trudged the road," and God has carried you when you couldn't trudge - and this is the result. I am proud to know you, and to have had a tiny part in your journey. Your success is an answer to a whole lotta prayers!!
Our whole attitude and outlook upon life will change. Fear of people and of economic insecurity will leave us. We will intuitively know how to handle situations which used to baffle us. We will suddenly realize that God is doing for us what we could not do for ourselves.

Are these extravagant promises? We think not. They are being fulfilled among us - sometimes quickly, sometimes slowly. They will
always materialize if we work for them.
Amen.

No comments: