Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Listening to powerful voices

My first day back to work today was a reasonably sane day - although there are rumblings on the horizon that are still saying, "Head for the lifeboats." We will see, and try taking the next right action...

But today, I need to step aside and share with you some incredibly powerful writing by some of my favorite bloggers:

My friend and mentor Tom at PurpleScarf has an incredible post about Bayard Rustin, who was (in Tom's words) "the man who brought Gandhi's protest techniques to the American civil rights movement and helped mold Dr. King into an international symbol of peace and nonviolence." The difference is that Bayard Rustin is largely unknown and discounted in the civil-rights movement, because he was an openly-gay man at a time of great homophobia. Go read about the man who taught MLK about non-violence...and give thanks for the teacher of the teacher.

One of the most powerful voices I've found in the blogosphere is the very-anonymous [rhymes with kerouac] at Today at the Mission. I think that everyone who professes to be a Christian - regardless of flavor - should read [rwk]'s Following Jesus Manifesto. It's as powerful a statement of living-my-so-called-faith as I have seen in a long, long while. And then, when you're done, check out his definition of church and his reflection on finding "the least of these" at church. Br'er [rwk], you are a classic example of one who is "blessed, to be a blessing."

One of my "brothers-of-the-heart" is Rick at a new life emerging. I've never seen a bad post on his site, but two of his recent posts have definitely struck me. In his post Shut off from the light, he talks about the various kinds of things that can cut us off from the source of spiritual light. As one who has allowed himself to walk on the dark side of the street for too long, it was a powerful read for me. And Rick's Losing My Religion reminds me that anything that distracts me from God is not a good thing - even if it's my religion or my church.

There is much I need to think about - everything from lessons from a century plant to the basic spiritual struggle I share with Henri Nouwen. But for now, it's time to get to bed...

No comments: