Thursday, June 21, 2007

Imagine this kind of world....

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - President George W. Bush would like to see a lengthy U.S. troop presence in Iraq like the one in South Korea to provide stability but not in a frontline combat role, the White House said on Wednesday.

The United States has had thousands of U.S. troops in South Korea to guard against a North Korean invasion for 50 years.

(See the rest of the article here.)

I'm sorry, but the idea of our soldiers - our sons and daughters - my neighbors - being shot at, blown up, and maimed for the next fifty years is absolutely unacceptable. I heard it last night on the BBC, I read it today on Reuters just to make sure I heard it right.

I heard it - but I won't accept it. This has to stop, and the people in Washington need to hear fro us that we care for, and support our troops - but not the mission they are being asked to lay their lives down for. Every report that I hear says that we are making things worse, instead of better. It's time for that nonsense to end.

There are several blogs who are featuring links to this article, asking for emails supporting the troops. I'm glad to post a link to it here. My problem, of course, is that I am proud of the men and women in uniform who are serving - but I can't support their mission, and I want them the hell out of there and back home safe. But I'll encourage anyone who has a mind to click on that link, read about the call for emails to the Marines, and add to the stream. If you're going to link to something, link to the original site, though...

If ever there was a need for a nation to be restored to sanity, now would be the time...

No comments: