Monday, March 07, 2005

Bob Vila and "This Old Soul"

The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not be in want.
He makes me lie down in green pastures,
he leads me beside quiet waters,
he restores my soul.
(Psalm 23:1-3, NIV)
The 23rd psalm is one of the most recognizable pieces of Scripture there is. People who have never set foot in a church, folks who have never heard about Jesus, folks who can't even pronounce the word "psalm" all know these words. In movies, in literature, on greeting cards - it's hard not to find it somewhere. And that's too bad...

...because it can become so familiar that we don't pay attention to what it actually says. It's possible for us to hear "The Lord is my shepherd..." and to say, "Oh, yeah...that stuff. Yeah, it's good," and tune out.

I heard the 23rd psalm in church yesterday, and verse 3 just kinda leapt out at me: "He restores my soul."

I had this image of Jesus as Bob Vila, the old host of "This Old House," walking into my own soul with his familiar banter. "Folks, we've got a big restoration project starting up this week...we've got weakened resolve in the faith foundation, prayer rot on the 2nd floor that needs to be cut out, we've got toxic spiritual asbestos that needs to be removed...oh, and we're going to put in a new bay window upstairs, to let the Light of the World shine in a little better. All this, and more, on 'This Old Soul'..."

There are times...like this weekend...when I wonder if even Norm Abrams and a Holy-Spirit-powered reciprocating saw can restore this soul o'mine. It sure can be a mess. Challenges and fears and doubts and you-name-it can knock against the I-beams and cinder-blocks of my soul, and I wonder whether the whole structure can possibly stay standing through this pounding.

Then I'm reminded: I don't have to do anything. Just step out of the way, ask the Master Craftsman (with all those cool Crafstman tools!) to come in and go to work. Lie down in the green pastures, beside still waters, and simply say, "Loving Carpenter, I need to be your remodeling project today - every day, in fact. Come in, and restore my soul."

And then watch the transformation take place.

Let the work begin, Lord...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's the big secret, isn't it? That's the mind-bending truth that brings peace, freedom and joy, the thing that changes every other thing: "I don't have to do anything!"

It's beautiful, isn't it?

Great post!