Friday, October 28, 2005

A brief update...

I've been burning the late-night oil lately - both with gatherings with friends and the vagaries of urban transit. I ended up running late at a meeting at work yesterday, for instance - and really got bollixed up in transit. I got on what I thought was the last regular "express shuttle" bus, and it sat for 20 minutes for no apparent reason whatsoever. Then I missed the last regular "rush-hour" train down south - and ended up sitting an hour downtown. Then a 40 minute "whistle-stop" train ride - and it was nearly 9:00 PM (when I'd left the office at 6:15).

Tonight was more of the same - left the 7 PM AA meeting at about 8:20, stopped for dinner with a sponsee, and missed the 9:20 southbound train from Hyde Park out to the ghetto. The 10:20 showed up at 10:40, and I got back about 11:20.

That's why it's just before 1 AM, and I'm still not in bed.

But I got fantastic news today - it seems that (after only a week and a half) the folks at my new temporary assignment are happy enough with me that they want to make me a permanent guy! Yes, with benefits and everything! As a Kansas friend would say, "Woo-HOOO!"

Considering that on September 15th, I didn't think I'd be working until October 15th - and that on October 10th, I didn't think I'd be working at all after October 15th - this is like a dream come true. It's a great fit between my experience, my desire to be of service, and some specific skill-sets that they don't have.

For all of this, I give thanks to God - and to everyone who has kept me and sustained me - emotionally, spiritually, and financially. I literally could not have survived without your support. "Thank you!" is such a mild-mannered word for what I'm feeling!

So - happy Friday, y'all...

5 comments:

Poor Mad Peter said...

Congrats, Steve! Shows ya just never know, eh?

Dale said...

It is great to hear things are going well and great to see that God is getting all the praise!

Deanne said...

Steve, I'm so happy to hear that your job situation seems to be working out! I kind of know how you feel; I was a temp for a year and a half with my current employer before I took a job with them, and it was such a relief to know I was going to have benefits and a more stable job, rather than wondering each week if my assignment would be ending. Now I'm leaving and will be job-hunting again...the cycle just continues!

Rick said...

Wooooo Hoooo from California!!!

God is taking caring of you.

wilsonian said...

One more wooohoooo! from Canada :)
Just think of all the energy freed up for other things!