Thursday, August 19, 2004

A break in the action....

...even if it is a somewhat manufactured, "let's just ignore everything for a few minutes" break.

Work has been both better and worse than I had hoped or intended. Better, because I am working for a wonderfull lady, in a great setting, with incredibly good access to the "L" train and an almost impossibly good commute. Worse, because (to be honest) I've gotten out of the habit of working, and sloth still sounds like a really, really good idea.

Add to this the fact that I'm really never, ever home these days. For the last two weeks, and for the next two weekends, I'm doing 4 days at work, leaving Thursday after work (around 7 or so), driving to Ohio, and doing the maniac-packing-deal. This weekend is the garage sale - pray for good weather in and around Toledo, Ohio, please....we need it!

So just some random catching up, and addressing some questions posed by friends....

No, the deal at Garfield is not gonna be permanent. They are looking for a part-time, 2 days a week kind of person, and I'm really looking for full-time stuff. Still, it's nice to be able to get back in the swing of things. No, the job at UC that I lusted after is still open - but at this stage of the game, that's probably a not-so-good sign.

Several folks have asked about the status of my candidacy. As I described last Thursday, I'm still at school at LSTC, and still planning on taking at least a class a semester, either at LSTC or one of the Association of Chicago Theological Schools (ACTS for short) schools. My scholastic work is just waiting for my financial condition to recover enough to move forward. As to the long-term plan for ministry, I guess the Lord's just saying "Wait," for now. The plan, for now, is to stay here, and explore what other directions God may use me. No pillars of fire have shown up, just yet (regrettably). But I'm trying to stick to Twila Paris' wonderful lyrics:
I cannot imagine what will come
But I know that I have made my choice
This is where I stand, until He moves me on
And I will listen to His voice...
I wish that last line were truer - I have probably not been listening as close as I ought...but for now, that is my prayer and my mantra. I'm staying here until I just can't stay any longer, and look to see where God is working around here!

I need to hit the hay - try to make it early to work, and get out at a reasonable hour and hit the road to T-town tomorrow night. It will be a busy, and a hectic, but a fun weekend....at least that is my hope and prayer!


No comments: