Friday, April 01, 2005

Happy Birthday, Bob!

On April Fool's Day, 1961, I believe God pulled a 30-something Detroit auto worker out of alcoholic insanity, took him off the streets and brought him into the community of sobriety.

Thirty years later, when I crawled into the rooms of recovery, Bob S. was there to meet me. I don't remember much of that night, but I do remember Bob saying, "Young fella, trust me - you never have to feel the way you feel tonight, ever again" - and his words were the first sounds of hope I'd heard in a long time. He became my first sponsor, and a dear, dear friend over the last 14-plus years. He has been (and is) a gift from God in my life.

Forty-four years - it's a long time between drinks, Bob. Congratulations - and know that a big guy in Chicago is thinking of you today, and sharing the joy with the world. All my wishes for love and joy are with you today!

No comments: