Thursday, August 18, 2005

Some simple, clear Biblical teaching

Looking for a central theme to the Bible, apart from God's love? I wish I could take credit for this, but it's inspired by a meditation by Elizabeth Stuart:
God said to Abraham, "Do not be afraid" (Gen 15:1)
God said to Hagar, "Do not be afraid" (Gen 21:17)
God said to Jacob, "Do not be afraid" (Gen 46:3)
God said to Moses, "Do not be afraid" (Exodus 14:13)
The Lord said to Joshua, "Do not be afraid" (Joshua 11:6)
Jonathan said to David, "Do not be afraid" (1 Samuel 23:17)
Elijah said to the widow, "Do not be afraid" (1 Kings 17:13)
God said to Israel, "Do not be afraid" (Isa 41:10)
God said to Jeremiah, "Do not be afraid" (Jer 1:8)
God said to Ezekiel, "Do not be afraid" (Ezekiel 2:6)
An angel of the Lord said to Joseph, "Do not be afraid" (Matthew 1:20)
An angel of the Lord said to the shepherds, "Do not be afraid" (Luke 2:10)
Jesus said to Peter, James and John, "Do not be afraid" (Matthew 17:7)
Jesus said to the disciples in the boat, "Do not be afraid" (John 6:20)
The angel said to the women at the tomb, "Do not be afraid" (Matthew 28:5)
Jesus said to the disciples, "Do not be afraid" (Luke 12:7)
The Lord said to Paul, "Do not be afraid" (Acts 18:9)
The angel said to John on the isle of Patmos, "Do not be afraid" (Rev 1:17)


"I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world."
(John 16:33)

I needed to hear that, today.

5 comments:

Roy said...

words for the moment - thank you

Michael Dodd said...

When I did my last general lifetime examination of conscience, I was stunned at the role of fear in my life. Thanks for the reminder that it is not only paralyzing and distorting, it's contrary to God's word.

New Life said...

Thanks brother, I need that every day.

APN said...

After reading through all of those injunctions to not be afraid, I find myself pondering just exactly what I'm afraid of in this life. And then it hits me:

I'm afraid of living as Jesus did. I'm afraid that I'm a failure at following His example and so I just quit.

Because I'm afraid....

bobbie said...

me too - thanks steve!