Monday, August 01, 2005

Feeling a bit like Dr. Smith....

Oh...the pain...the pain.... (the dark voice of Lost in Space)

Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, 3because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. (James 1:2-3, NIV)

When I woke up this morning, Dr. Smith's signature phrase was on my lips. And I have to admit that at lease initially, I didn't even consider considering the aches and twinges in my muscles pure joy, but rather the reverse. I ache in places I didn't think I had places...

But I slept well, and I need to get off into the day - not only do I have a number of things yet to move, I have a MESS of other stuff to take care of. Not to mention about two weeks of blogs I haven't read to catch up on...

I've also been gratified to read the responses to my invitation to blog through A Celebration of Discipline starting Labor Day. So far, the best response has been from Spencer at Staying Straight Edge: I'm sceptical as I am not 'a christian' and have no real desire to become one ... but I'll read anything that's thought provoking and so I will get a copy and play 'devils' advocate with you :) That was the best gift I got today, actually.

On a different topic, something I've been noticing is how spartan others lives are - and how cluttered mine has been. I have some time, while my new landlord is out of town and the folks living in my apartment-to-be are getting out, that I need to go through my stuff and ask (yet again), "Do I really, really, really need this? Or is this the same I'll need it someday thing that my parents bought for years, and sold to me?"

First things first, though - gotta make the bed, put some clothes away, and get into the day. Still "a long way to go, and a short time to get there..."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh, Steve! You left off the best part of that song1

...a long way to go and a short time to get there...we're gonna do what they say can't be done!