Tuesday, June 14, 2005

When will they come for me?

A posting from my brother Damien sent a wave of fear right down my back. You really need to read this...because we have men and women dying overseas supposedly to protect our nation from having this kind of crap happen.

The question I'd be asking is not "how do I feel about this particular group of people?" - but instead ask yourself this: "When will they come to register the group that I belong to?"

It's instructive to remember this poem, written by a man who knows the answer to that question:

First they came for the Communists,
and I didn’t speak up,
because I wasn’t a Communist.
Then they came for the Jews,
and I didn’t speak up,
because I wasn’t a Jew.
Then they came for the Catholics,
and I didn’t speak up,
because I was a Protestant.
Then they came for me,
and by that time there was no one
left to speak up for me.

(by German pastor Rev. Martin Niemoller, 1945) (read more about Niemoller here)

It's time to pray - and it's time to speak out, and speak UP...

1 comment:

APN said...

The sad thing is that those self-same right-wing wack jobs keeping escalating the conflict, with each passing book published, with each appearance on Hannity & Colmes/O'Reilly, and with each radio conversation with Dr. Dobson & his FOtF people.

The Culture War indeed.... Who's really waging this war AS a war? Bring on equal rights please, for everyone. That Declaration of Independence thingy from 1776 said that we're supposed to be created equal, right?!? Well, I guess you're only equal if you're a rich white Christian who votes for Bush and his ilk.