Thursday, September 23, 2004

Yet more proof that the US government is nuts

I laughed when Ted Kennedy was prevented from flying because his name was "on the list" put out by Homeland Security...you'd have thought that would have been enough to show that this "secret hit list" nonsense isn't working. But now I'm reading this morning's story that Yusuf Islam - better known as Cat Stevens - was detained, and actually refused entry to the US. "Yusuf Islam has been placed on the watch lists because of activities that could potentially be related to terrorism," a HSA spokesman said. "It's a serious matter."

Admittedly, I don't know much about Yusuf's movements or activities over the last several years - but I do know that much of his life (even after adopting Islam as his name and faith) has been focused on peace and an end to war. Is this what he's being excluded for? Because he's not supporting the unending slaughter of people (on both sides) in Iraq, and elsewhere?

This is starting to smell an awful lot like McCarthyism of the 1950's, where if you just talked to, or had dinner with, the wrong people, bad things could happen to you. Which then makes me start asking...how subversive does someone have to be before I can't talk with them, or be seen with them? Peace protesters...labor activists...community organizers...how long before my apartment is the one being searched? Makes one wonder...

I was concerned before...but I'm starting to get really concerned about the viability of democracy here.

No comments: