Tuesday, November 02, 2004

Seven hours and counting

No deep theology here (for which some may be very thankful). The voting polls open at 6 AM Central time, here in Chicago, and I plan to be there, first thing.

In the community of recovery, I am blessed to spend time with a number of felons. Being in prison changes the way you look at life on a number of different levels, and I'm grateful that these men have been willing to share their lives and their souls with me. It's a rare privilege, and one that I don't take lightly.

Election Day is one of those days that generally make these guys feel very much "apart-from," because one of the rights they have to give up after their conviction is the right to vote. And especially in an election year like this one, where every single vote is going to matter, it really has annoyed several of them to have to be on the sidelines.

That's why I will be up and out the door early tomorrow, even though I don't need to be up that early. By sheer grace, I was never arrested for any of the things I did in my past, so I still have that privilege. And because I can, I must. It's just that simple. Every single vote may mean the difference between victory and defeat on Tuesday; there are no insignificant or meaningless votes this season.

Thank you, God, for the ability and the privilege to vote. Help me to exercise that gift with wisdom and strength. Protect our candidates - the ones we vote for and the ones that we don't - and the voters, and the innocent ones who are standing targets. Amen.

1 comment:

Steve F. said...

Seems even an old fart can learn something...I stand corrected. Thanks for setting me straight. (I guess guys like Mike T. still aren't off probation, so that's why.)